Submit an ARTery Project
The Salina Art Center is looking for local artists to develop projects for our ARTery. The ARTery is a free, interactive arts lab dedicated to experimentation and practice with a variety of art materials and techniques. It is free and open to the public during our gallery hours, Wednesday – Sunday, 11am-5pm.
We are looking for fun, dynamic projects that will provide visitors with the opportunity to learn and explore basic art skills and concepts. Projects will be available in the ARTery for three months and then a new project will rotate in. Artists will receive a $75 stipend and recognition in ARTery promotions for developing the project and providing complete directions and an example.
This project is made possible with funding from the Salina Charities League.
Things to consider:
- Projects must be appropriate and accessible for all ages and abilities.
- The average participant spends about 30-45 minutes in the ARTery. Projects should reflect that timeframe.
- These are self-led, drop-in projects; participants will receive minimal guidance from gallery attendants or teaching artists.
- These projects will be available to drop-in visitors
- Projects will also be used with school groups, tour groups, and for community outreach.
- Materials used in these projects:
- Need to be nontoxic and safe for use by all ages.
- Need to be ARTery appropriate, not messy or needing supervision.
- No permanent inks, paints, acrylic paints, or oil paints.
- No glue guns or permanent adhesives
- Appropriate media includes (but not limited to): pencils, pens, markers, watercolor, collage, glue sticks, textiles
- Projects should reflect the mission of the Art Center: creating exchanges among art, artists, and audiences that reveal life.
- Previous projects include:
- Zine making using collage
- Tiny Art inspired by the Art-O-Mat
- Dia de Los Muertos Paper Plate Skulls
- Card Making
December 1 for projects January 1 – March 31
March 1 for projects April 1 – June 30
June 1 for projects July 1 – September 30
September 1 for projects October 1 – December 31
Art Center staff will review proposals after the rolling deadlines and notify chosen artists shortly thereafter. If their project is chosen, the artist must provide an example or sample using their own materials. The Art Center will provide materials for the ARTery.
Contact Gretchen Boyum at firstname.lastname@example.org or 785-827-1431 with any questions.